MA in Creative Writing – Poetry, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2016
BA in Journalism, Washington and Lee University, 2010
Minor in Creative Writing, Washington and Lee University, 2010
Concentration Certificate in French, Washington and Lee University, 2010
- Red Paint Hill Poetry Journal, Artifacts of a Make-Believe Ghost
- Red Paint Hill Poetry Journal, Anatomy of a Whisper
- Wherewithal Lit, Prison Bars Dissect A Man
- Northern Colorado Writer’s Association, According to Women, When to Use Knives
- Northern Colorado Writer’s Association, Casualties of Nature
- 2014 South Dakota State Poetry Society Chapbook Contest Winner, Attribution
- 2010 Academy of American Poets’ College Award Winner, Dreaming of Ducks
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Instructor of Record), UNL English Department, 2015-current
- Taught four sections of English 151, Writing As Argument, throughout fall and spring semesters.
- Created and implemented syllabi and lesson plans to assist in student comprehension/practice of rhetoric, composition, and argument.
- Met one-on-one with students at least twice per term to discuss paper drafts, progress in the classroom, writing and revision.
- Utilized social media and multimedia resources, in-depth discussion of genre, group discussions, and peer review work to facilitate class discussion and curriculum goals.
- Assisted with curriculum development.
Slam Poetry Coach/Teacher, Louder Than A Bomb, Lincoln Public Schools, 2014-current
- Taught after-school slam poetry club once a week throughout fall and spring semesters each year.
- Created and implemented lesson plans, discussions and auditions to assist in student comprehension/practice of slam poetry genre.
- Led student team at end-of-year slam poetry competitions.
Substitute Teacher, Arlington Public Schools, 2013-2014
- Served as long-term substitute teacher for middle and high school English classes at Arlington High School.
- Developed daily and weekly lesson plans for the classes.
Assistant Metro Editor, The Anniston Star, 2011-2012
- Assisted in the development, research, revision and editing of daily, investigative, feature, and front-page stories for the daily paper with a 20,000 circulation.
- Met one-on-one with a team of six metro reporters on a daily basis to discuss story drafts and provide constructive feedback for improvement.
- Assisted in content and layout decisions for daily and Sunday paper editions.
Poetry/Literary Editing Experience
Editorial Assistant – Poetry, Prairie Schooner, 2014-current
- Assisted in reading, commenting and selecting poems for the national literary quarterly.
- Wrote a “Life and Literature” column for the Prairie Schooner blog, 2014-2015, examining the intersections of contemporary poetry and the news industry.
Editorial Assistant – Creative Nonfiction Contest, Prairie Schooner, Summer 2015
- Assisted in reading, commenting and selecting poems for the national literary quarterly’s summer creative nonfiction contest.
Professional Writing/Journalism Experience
Public Safety Reporter, The Charlotte Observer, 2012-2013
- Wrote daily and enterprise stories on the public safety beat for the Charlotte paper with a 200,000 circulation.
Investigative/Public Safety Reporter, The Anniston Star, 2010-2012
- Wrote investigative, enterprise and Sunday features for daily paper in Anniston, Alabama with 20,000 circulation.
- Covered police, courts and military beat.
Editor-in-Chief, In-General Magazine, 2009-2010
- Directed more than 20 reporters at award-winning news magazine.
- Oversaw development of a new magazine layout style.
Producer/Reporter, The Rockbridge Report, Jan. 2010 – April 2010
- Produced, wrote the weekly newscast for Lexington’s only television news show.
- Created, launched, designed the weekly news website.
Intern, OnPoverty.Org, 2008-2009
- Managed and designed news website, mastering Adobe Dreamweaver.
- Wrote weekly headlines and briefs.
- 2012 Alabama Associated Press Managing Editors first-place award for Community Services News on “Our Big Problem” Obesity series
- 2012 Alabama Associated Press Association and APME first-place awards for feature writing
- 2010 Alabama Associated Press Managing Editors first-place award for investigative reporting
- 2010 Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence second-place award for investigative reporting
“A Surgical Table Elegizes A Man’s Organs: Poetry of Terror, Poetry of Critique”. The 37th Annual Southwest Popular Culture/American Culture Association Annual Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, February 2016.
“The Spectator and The Surreal Girl: The Female Gaze in Jean Cocteau’s La Belle et La Bête and Catherine Breillat’s La Belle Endormie”. The 36th Annual Southwest Popular Culture/American Culture Association Annual Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, February 2015.
English Department Representative, Graduate Student Association at UNL (GSA)
Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
No-Name Reading Committee